Thursday 6 February 2014

The Balancing Act

Having not written anything in a little while I thought I'd best put my mind to it and come up with something interesting to write about and as I can't rely on any racing stories at the moment I thought I would write a little bit about something that is an issue in the forefront of my mind and probably in the minds of other cyclists my age. I am of course talking about balancing school and a full time commitment to cycling. It's not always easy, in fact it's mostly pretty stressful, but it is never the less very important. I'm currently studying History, English Literature and Psychology at As level, I dropped down to three subjects pretty recently after conversations with my teachers and head of year as I realised that the work load was massively getting on top of me. I decided to drop PE which people may find a little peculiar, but I don't think it's common knowledge how difficult a subject it is, with all the science involved it's like 2 or 3 A-levels rolled into one! I really struggled to keep up with the massive work load, so that eventually swayed my decision. I was a bit annoyed at first that I needed to drop down as I've never really been keen on giving anything up half way through, but I'm starting to realise that ploughing on regardless and being blind to your own down falls is a bit bloody daft and you end up spreading yourself too thinly, which inevitably makes you a bit rubbish at everything. Now the work load is a bit lighter and I have more free time to get work done at school which is very helpful as I can get on with my training when I get home. Having said that though I am by no means the shining example of an athlete/student, I try my best and work hard but at the end of the day I'm still 17, I still sit around like any other teenager and idly think about the amount of work I have to do rather than actually doing it but I feel like I'm getting better. I think that is sometimes what people forget, as athletes we are still human it's not as easy as going to school, going training and then working for another 2 hours after that, we may be disciplined and dedicated but we can also be bloody lazy as well, and I know I am definitely a culprit of laziness from time to time. It's a difficult game to play when you want to be good at sport and also have some form of academic credentials so that you have a 'plan B' if it's ever required. Then again if it was easy wouldn't everyone be doing it?

1 comment:

  1. Joe, I have known you for some 4 years now and have seen the progression you have made over the years. The path you are taking is the right choice education / Sport and yes the progression through education will not go away, so stay focused and continue as you are doing now you will not go far wrong. You are a great kid and you have a lovely family that has supported you. Our Best Wishes for 2014 Dave F

    ReplyDelete